Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy 2010 and knäckebröd

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! I haven't been a good food blogger but now I shall endeavour to increase the frequency of my posts... I've also gotten a new digital camera, so I can take photos of my creations. :)

I just had to post about my obsession with super thin, crispy knäckebröd, or crispbread. And I don't mean the type with the air bubbles in them like the Wasa variety.

I favour, in particular, the ones produced by Vilmas.

So far, I've tried the sesame knäckebröd from Vilmas, and their rosemary and dill & onion knäckesticks. Love the sesame and rosemary varieties. I have a new box of sesame/chili ones which I can't wait to try too!

I also loved ICA Selection organic pumpkin/sesame seed knäckesticks, but they appear to be out of production or something now. :(

Another brand I've tried is Batanun, that offers a very tasty pumpkin/sunflower/flax seed knäckebröd, packaged in a charming brown paper bag printed with Egyptian hieroglyphs (the company's owner is an Egyptian immigrant). Unfortunately it's not always available in the stores that I frequent, which usually carries the "safer" (and bland) option of Batanun's oat knäckebröd.

I eat them with a smear of butter or cream cheese. Yummy. They're really satisfying when you crave something savoury and crispy, and are healthy, compared to, say, chips (my other weakness, ugh). I imagine they would be delicious dipped in hummus or guacamole as well.

These crunchy little delights are pretty expensive (around 30kr or RM15 per box of approx 175-225g), though. So I'm looking for a good recipe I can follow to make my own.

So far, I've only come across one recipe with photos and a comparison to Vilmas that assures me it's not the Wasa type of crispbread: Lyxigt knäckebröd

I'm hesitant to try it because my Swedish isn't that good yet, and we don't have a food processor (or is hushållsassistent just a mixer?)... but maybe one day soon I'll get the boyf to help me. He's a bread-making whiz.

(images are from the Vilmas website)

No comments: